Happy snow day everyone! Days like today all I want is a blanket, the remote and a warm bowl of something scrumptious, say a bowl of pasta and Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce?
I don't have any additional pictures because, well, I don't. I will, however, provide you with the recipe so you have a hearty bite to eat when you're done shoveling out of this mess. I have to say, the snow is no longer cute in such copious amounts. I'm ready for temperatures above freezing if you'd be so kind, Mother Nature. I don't think my soul (or my waistline) can handle this much longer. That being said, bacon and roasted red peppers make this a complex and rustic dish that is guaranteed to mend even the most broken of spirits.
*I use an immersion blender to puree the sauce but some people prefer blenders. Either way, exercise caution when blending hot liquids, especially in a blender: hot liquids can cause blender lids to explode off. It is suggested to blend in small batches and/or cover the lid with a dish towel. For more info check here.
1lb of tubular pasta (rigatoni or penne are good choices)
2 slices of applewood smoked bacon, sliced into one inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 jar of roasted red peppers
1 tsp Dried parsley
1 tsp Dried oregano
3tbsp heavy cream
1 package of Trader Joe's meatballs or use your own
1. Heat a saucepan on medium high heat. When pan is hot, add the bacon. Cook bacon until fat is rendered, remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel and save for later.
2. Reduce heat to medium, saute the onion in the bacon fat until translucent, 5-6 minutes.
3. Add roasted red peppers (not liquid though) and heat with onions 1-2 minutes.
4. Add in diced tomatoes, parsley and oregano. Cook for another 3-4 minutes. At this point, heat a pot of water for your pasta.
5. Add bacon back to tomato mixture.
6. Blend mixture until smooth (see note above).
7. Add in heavy cream.
8. Add in meatballs and heat through for another 15-20 minutes. Pasta water should be ready at this point or sooner. Add pasta to pot of boiling water and cook for 9 minutes for al dente.
9. Spoon pasta into bowls and top with sauce and meatballs. Serves between 4-6 depending on your serving size.
10. Dig in!
Until the next dish, ciao!